Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Quite the 2 days

We last left our brave adventurer at temple 58. In the morning one of the things that the freeloaders were expected to do was attend morning chanting. It was an interesting experience and my practice with seiza came in handy. Afterwords we talked with the head monk for about half hour. Turns out we have the same opinion on foreign policy.
This set me behind in the morning so I changed my goal to a shelter at the base of the mountain to temple 60. Because my destination wasn't a temple I took it easy. At temple 59 I was given a small hand towel by a guy on my way into the temple. He told me to come back after I was done and he would tell me about the road to the next one. I don't really need directions but I had the time to kill. When I go back he gives me icecream and asks me to write down a phrase I like in his book. I went with 一期一会, which roughly means that each meeting is once in a lifetime. I find it fits this trip perfectly. He then proceeds to put that in his embroidery machine and make me another towel. Finally when he suggests he take a picture for me I mention that my camera is half broken and therefor not to worry about it (I gave up trying to explain how to hold the battery casing to keep it from losing power). He says that won't do and proceeds to open a disposable camera, take my pict
ure with it, and then give it to me.
I continued on. Just about lunch time I had someone call to me out their kitchen window. After general greetings she asks if I've eaten lunch. I had had some bread, but not a proper lunch so she tells me to come in and join them for lunch. quite tasty.
I was later given some fruit and drinks by an old lady when I stopped and asked for directions.
Today was quite the day as well, but its extremely late so you'll get a special edition detailing it if I have time tomorrow.

1 comment:

lisa said...

I had a towel made for me by the same guy! The ice cream towel man. He was incredibly genki, made me smile when I was having a rough day.