Sunday, June 3, 2007

double feature

Don't get used to it, but you're getting another update already. My lodging for the night is just that stylish.
But first, last night I actually had to work for my lodging. they had me pealing beans for one of the locals. I also got some instant noodles out of the deal though, so not going to complain. I did end up with 3 roomates last night, one guy my age that didn't do the college thing. He has been going at an increadible pace (was a day ahead of me, and I'm moving fast), and has the blisters to show for it. The next guy was in his 60's and possibly a little crazy from walking this thing so many times. He certainly was happy to have people to talk to. He's doing the circuit backwards so he doesn't ever have someone going in the same direction, plus he usually sets up a tent instead of staying in places like I do. The last guy came late and didn't talk much.
And now to the main event, tonight's lodging. First off today was just a short 20k jaunt. This is primarily because there was an onsen and free lodging right next to eachother, which is a big plus. It also ended up raining pretty heavy all afternoon, so it was nice to not have to walk in that. I was a little wary of my accommodations though as its a bus. And while it is a dirty old broken down bus, it's got power coming in from the outside, a tv, hot water for tea, and some electric fans. The inside was gutted and replaced with wood flooring and tatami mats. However, the kicker is it included a great dinner. The owner of the bus runs a Japanese buffet nearby, so he brought over a big tray of food, including rice, fish, an assortment of tempura and kara age, yakisoba, and a really tasty tofu dish. granted it was all a little cold and had been sitting out for a while, but I'm not going to complain when free lodging comes with free food.
Tomorrow I've got a 40k day planned, but its all flat with lots of scenic ocean. At the end I should be able to stay at one of the temples. they have a little bit of space set aside for walkers. Apparently a number of the temples do, and the crazy old guy from last night circled them all in my book.
That's all for tonight, tune in next time
Dan

No comments: