Saturday, June 9, 2007

Irony

So as opposed to going chronological as usual I'll start with my irony of the day. As I was taking a break and sitting in front of a supermarket I was approached by 2 middle aged women. I'm used to the whole where are you from/why are you here routine so I'm only half paying attention as they talk about what they do. I see one of them digging around in her purse as she's talking, and then the next thing I know she is asking me if I am sure to read my bible every day hands me a small book of passages from the bible translated into Japanese. They were trying to convert me to Christianity! Isn't it the Americans usually trying silly things like that?
Anyway aside from that pretty uneventful. I ran into a self proclaimed travelling philosopher yesterday. He seemed fairly well educated and some of his theories were sound, so he may not have been a complete nutcase.
I only made it to 33 yesterday, was hoping for 34. Due to that and the fact that I'm still ahead of schedule I decided to take it easy today, get laundry done in the morning, then spent half the afternoon hanging out in front of that super.
I talked to a few people there, one was a Japanese guy who had lived in switzerland for a number of years and spoke fluent English with no accent. The funny thing is he assumed English wasn't my first language. Keep in mind that the vast majority of Japanese automatically assume any caucasion people they see speak English. Apparently since I don have any regional accent (if I ever had one from Indiana I lost it here) he thought it was a second language.
I made it to temple 35 today, not much of a trip but this looks to be the last free indoor lodging for a while and my hip has been bugging me since this morning so I figured I'd take it.
It keeps threatening to rain. The weather report for today said 80% chance of thunderstorms all day. In reality it was bright, sunny, and hot. We'll see about tomorrow.
Tonights temple actually has 2 rooms, which is convenient as the other occupant is a woman. Tomorrow is likely to be camping out at a rest stop.

1 comment:

Flinch said...

in order to have an accent you actually have to speak to people.