Thursday, June 7, 2007

Another day, another temple

Not a whole lot new. Scenery has been pretty consistant with ocean on my left and mountains on my right. From time to time there are some houses between me and the mountains.
Weather's been pretty much hot and cloudless, so much for this rainy season concept.
My new best friend sustinence-wise is milk. I've found nothing gets me ready to walk again like chugging a liter of whole milk.
Last night was free temple lodging at temple 27 (nice little rest house with tatami mat and futon and tonight is another night in the temple at 28, though this one is more like camping out as all I've got is a small space on the floor between the inner and outer portions of one of the big halls.
One of the things I'm often asked by the locals is why am I doing this. While there are a number of interpretations to this question the most traditional would be what is my wish/desire I want to be granted. The theory goes that if you complete the pilgrimage something good is supposed to happen. The 2 most common reasons people do this are to cure some medical condition or success in some business venture. Not being very original and being about to graduate I went with the latter and decided to wish for success in finding a computer job that would bring me back to Japan.
Today was a long day (40k) and tomorrow might be as well, though tomorrow I'll be in the city so it will be harder to make good time. Looks like tomorrow should be temple lodging at 34. That one's supposed to be pretty nice.
Just as a forewarning, between the suntan and weight loss I barely recognize myself in the mirror anymore (the hat could have something to do with it too) so those of you who will see me shortly after I get back don't be too surprised. I never did end up shaving my head bald (trimmer part of my razor is acting up) so at least I do still have some hair.

No comments: