Saturday, June 2, 2007

making good progress

I reached temple 22 today, which puts me at 130.1 kilometers according to the book. Actual walked distance is probably another 20k when you figure in to and from lodging, times I accidentally took the car route, and food searching.
This puts my average at 28.9k/day, which exceeds the 27.6 I need to maintain. My daily distance tends to vary greatly depending on what places are available to sleep at. For instance the other day I went 10k further than planned (40k all told) to get to a good free spot, whereas tomorrow I'll only go 20k since there is a good spot right near an onsen.
Yesterday night's accommodations were pretty good, including a water heater so I could make tea. My roomate for the night was a little sketchy. He was a nice enough guy, maybe in his 60's, but from a phone conversation I overheard it sounds like one of the things that prompted this trip for him were debt collectors looking for him.
Tonight I've got a bath, TV, fridge, washing machine, and fans/AC. I'd be hard pressed to find all that in paid accommodations. Theres a stove too, but out of gas so no tea for me. It's still early so I'm waiting to see if anyone joins me tonight.
I got held up by about an hour today by an elderly farmer. I had just finished resting and was about to head over the last hill to the next temple and he calls out to me. I stop to talk, aside from being the polite thing to do I'm always looking for information. He then began rambling on about everything from the way people walk to the foreigners that don't speak Japanese. He repeated himself many times. It took an hour to get moving again, and for once it was a relief to walk uphill. Standing there with my pack on like that not moving was killing my feat.
Along those lines physically I'm holding up quite well. I had a few blisters almost form, but taped them up early enough to prevent them. My legs are a little sore, but thats to be expected. I am a little on the sunburned side, but I'll just let that turn into a dark tan to help prevent it in the future. Its mainly just my arms, which only ever bug me when I put my pack on or take it off.

No comments: