Monday, June 18, 2007

Interlude 1: The Henro RPG

As I sit here waiting for food to digest so I can eat more and get my monies worth out of this buffet, I've decided to write out one of the theories/ideas my mind comes up with in its descent to madness.
Now first, you have to understand that I've got 2 and only 2 things I look forward to in the US. The first is being reunited with my computer. The second is 4 days of nerdy bliss that are Gencon.
Along those lines I've determined that the henro pilgrimage can be described in terms of an RPG. There are 3 base player characters. The walking Henro, the driving Henro, and the bus Henro. There are then prestige classes, with myself being the 野宿 class. As I haven't experienced any of the others thats the one I'll describe for now.
The first ability granted by the class is henro sleep. This allows the character to sleep in any location under any conditions. Even if woken up many times during the night the character can always wake up early in the morning with no signs of tiredness.
The next ability is henro sense. This allows the henro to sense the presence of road marks telling them when to turn. This includes ones that have been hidden or even removed.
Then theres henro stamina. This ability allows the character to continue walking even after exhausted.
Finally henro movement, which allows the character to follow the markers detected by henro sense without active thought. This gives the character the appearance of having the route memorized.
I'd imagine this would have to be a computer based RPG along the lines of Final Fantasy. It's too linear to make a good PnP game.
The battles would most likely be with snakes, wild bores, and bugs, Though I guess people wasting your time with senseless rambling could make a good final boss.
Yes, I'm having nerdiness withdrawl. The hardcore nerd action of Gencon will be a good indulgence.