Wednesday, June 13, 2007

And it began

Yesterday was pretty typical. I ended up splitting from my companion as we had different desires in lodging. I opted for a park near where I could buy food and that put me closer to today's goal, she went for the place closer to the starting point but in the middle of nowhere, which was incidentaly where the older guy from last night was stopping.
Today however we met up again by chance. I was just finishing my lunch break and she just stopped for hers. It also started raining at that time, so neither of us had the urge to go on at the moment. We hung around the little store there for a while, then the older guy showed up this is where the fun began. He had forgotten the bottom part to his rain suit, so he decided this was as far as he was going today (there was a nice shelter with bench and bathroom). Then he saw that they were selling a giant bottle of sake for \1000. Deciding this was a good enough time to spend the day he buys it. The woman had 2 cups and he spilled one, but downed the rest in about 2 hours. Said lots of random stupid things. Myself and my once more companion decided to take our leave, and headed out in the rain. Due to the extended lunch break and rain I decided to not go as far as planned, so we both stopped at a shelter in a park for the night. She has a tent (the shelter has lots of big open
windows) but I'm hunkered down in a shelter made of a tarp, benches, and twine.
One thing that does dissappoint me is that I had a flash of insight too late. It didn't occur to me last night that I had lots of fish stores nearby and a giant beach on which to build a nice cooking fire until after dinner.
And so 梅雨 has begun.

No comments: